Red Guide Posts – a weed awareness tool!
Murray Weed Action program (Murray WAP), Riverina Weed Action Programs (Riverina WAP), Lachlan Valley Weeds Advisory Committee (LVWAC), Macquarie Valley Weeds Advisory Committee (MVWAC), Riverina & Central Western Local Control Authorities (LCAs), Local Land Services (LLS) and Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) have collaborated to develop a simple system to assist in reducing the spread of high risk species along roadsides. It involves the installation of red guide posts at the ‘start’ and ‘end’ of each infestation. The red guide posts identify the site and an extensive awareness campaign will advise that there is to be no works between the posts without the local weed officer’s permission.
This project has been funded through the NSW Weeds Action Program (WAP) New Innovative project for weeds 2013-2015 and Murray Local Land Services Integrated Pest and Weed Management Projects. Over 2,000 red guide posts have been distributed to 33 partnering councils across the Riverina & Central Western NSW to be installed next to existing white guide posts.
A major component of this project was the development of resources that can be picked up by RMS and other LCAs across NSW to ensure state consistency:
- RGP installation procedure – to provide a safe and consistent approach to the installation of red guide posts throughout NSW.
- Red Guide Posts PP Presentation – created for a Roadside Environment Committee meeting. Other organisations may find it beneficial when discussing/presenting the initiative.
- FAQ Fact Sheet – targeted at all road users wanting to find out a bit more about the project.
- Flyer – targeted at all outdoor staff (RMS, LCAs, LLS, Crown Lands and Contractors etc.).
- Wall Banners – designed specifically for our Henty Field Day shed internal walls. Herbaceous Weeds, Woody Weeds & Grass Weeds.
- 30 sec TVC – targeted at families travelling through NSW – market extends to northern VIC.
- 15 sec TVC – targeted at families travelling through NSW – market extends to northern VIC.
- 30 sec Radio Ad – targeting road users travelling through regional NSW
- 15 sec Radio Ad – targeting road users travelling through regional NSW
- Windscreen sticker – a visual prompt or reminder for roadside machinery operators that there’s to be No works between the posts!
- Fuel Nozzle advertising – unavoidable engagement medium – targeting all road users. Black Creative, Red Creative, White Creative, Green Creative December 2014, Black Creative December 2014. Blue Creative, All Creatives June 2015, November 2016 Creative Update
- Red Guide posts – images
- Drink Cooler Designs
- Media releases and articles
- Performance Point – an easy way to promote the successes of the Weeds Action Program.
- Project Partners map – 33 NSW Councils signed up to support this pilot project.
- Field Day Banner (3m x 1m outdoor vinyl banner). Photo @ Henty FD 2014.
- Coreflute sign
- Red Guide Post White Vinyl Sticker “START” and “END” template
Murray Local Land Services has also partnered with this project to expand the market reach of the TVC throughout the region as well as trial a new advertising medium displayed on Service Station fuel nozzles.
By avoiding Red Guide Posted areas we can all help stop the spread of weeds…..